Welcome to Day 3 of “How to Make Money Blogging”. Today you’ll begin to learn how to choose a niche.
Many beginning affiliate marketers make the mistake of choosing one or two products and then building a blog around
that product. Then they have to figure out to whom they should sell the product.
Here’s the problem … there may not be a demand for the product. Or..the niche may not be in an easy to reach market.
Finding your niche isn’t always simple. People now have the problem of a “one hit wonder,” that’s where you can get people to purchase this one product – but you can’t figure out what else to sell to them.
So here’s a better option:
Find a hungry market first.
And once you’ve determined that a market exists – and the people in this market are already buying products and services – then you can decide what to sell them. (Usually, this means you sell them what they’re already buying).
That’s what this lesson is about. In this lesson and the next two you’ll discover:
- how to find a niche
- how to brainstorm a niche
- how to choose a niche.
- How to choose a profitable niche
- The different ways you can research a market to see if it’s profitable
Now let’s get started…
How to Find a Niche
This website is called how make money blogging with purpose. If you ask around about how to find a niche, some people will tell you to follow your passions. Others will tell you to follow the money. Here’s one of my favorite quotes:
Profits Serve Purpose- They Don’t Compete With it!
That’s why I recommend this…
Start with your passions… but then find out if they’re profitable.
If you do this, then you’re sure to make money, and you also have the added benefit of working in a niche you enjoy because it interests you.
So, the first step is to uncover a niche.
How do you find a niche?. You start by brainstorming.
I’ve included a questionnaire below to help you. …
Answer the following questions. Don’t limit yourself to just one answer per question.
Try listing as many answers as possible for each question.
- What are your favorite topics of conversation?
- What was your favorite topic in school?
- What job do you work now?
- What job do you wish you had?
- What kinds of websites do you visit regularly?
- What webpages have you bookmarked on your computer?
- What kinds of TV shows/channels do you like to watch?
- What types of magazines do you subscribe to?
- What are your hobbies?
- What do you spend your expendable income on?
- If you had $1000 to spend right now to spend on yourself, just for fun – what would you do with it?
- What are your favorite books?
- If you could take three college courses, what would they be?
- What topics do you know a lot about?
- What topics do your friends ask you about?
- What type of events do you like to attend?
List your other interests:
Complete the above questionnaire. Once you’re done with it, you should have several possible niches.
These are things that either interest you or that you know a lot about.
This is the first step in finding out how to choose a niche. Next time you’ll find out if these niches are profitable!